Savings Catcher FAQs
for important additional details.
What is Savings Catcher?
At Walmart we have low prices everyday on everything. If a local competitor offers a lower advertised price on an eligible item you purchased at Walmart, we have a program called Savings Catcher that allows you to get back the difference on a Walmart Rewards eGift Card or a Bluebird by American Express Card. Amounts credited to these Cards can be used to make purchases exclusively in-store at Walmart or online at Walmart.com
. For further details and examples of eligible items, please see the Matching section below.
IN PUERTO RICO, the same Savings Catcher functionalities will apply to the Amigo supermarkets.
Here’s how it works:
- Submit your receipt to Savings Catcher in any one of two ways:
- Enter the receipt number (the TC number) into Savings Catcher at savingscatcher.walmart.com or in the Walmart Android or iPhone app. You’ll find this number located near the bottom of your printed Walmart store receipt.
- Or, scan the code at the bottom of your printed store receipt, using the scanner in the Savings Catcher section of the Walmart app.
- Savings Catcher compares the prices of the eligible items you bought at Walmart to the advertised prices found in the print and online versions of the weekly ads of top retailers in your area. The ads must be valid at the time you made your Walmart purchase.
- If Savings Catcher finds an advertised price that is lower than what you paid for the same exact item at Walmart, you’ll get back the difference in the form of Savings Catcher Reward Dollars, which can be redeemed for a Walmart Rewards eGift Card or Walmart Buck$ added to your Bluebird by American Express Card, which can be used to make purchases exclusively in-store at Walmart or online at Walmart.com.
Is there a minimum purchase required?
No. There is no minimum purchase requirement. Simply submit your receipt to get started.
How many receipts can I submit?
You can submit up to 7 receipts per week to Savings Catcher.
Is Savings Catcher available on my smartphone?
What types of promotions does Savings Catcher include?
Savings Catcher compares eligible items on your receipt to items found in the print and digital weekly ads of top retailers in your area. The ads must be valid at the time you made your Walmart purchase and include a specific item price.
Savings Catcher will match competitor BOGO deals in all 50 states and Puerto Rico as long as a price is listed. In addition, in the state of FLORIDA ONLY for Publix and Winn Dixie stores, the Buy One Get One free (BOGO) ad can state “Save up to” with a clearly defined item size to be eligible.
FLORIDA only example: “Peter Pan Peanut Butter, buy one, get one free. Save up to $3.50.” will be compared as follows: Competitor BOGO “Save up to $3.50” means that each Peter Pan Peanut Butter costs $1.75 ($3.50 / 2 = $1.75). If the Walmart price for one Peter Pan Peanut Butter is $3.00, you would then get back $1.25 on each Peter Pan Peanut Butter you buy at Walmart ($3.00 - $1.75 = $1.25).
What types of promotions does Savings Catcher not include?
Savings Catcher does not compare the following types of offers:
- Items that require a separate purchase to get the advertised price (example: “Buy oatmeal to get cereal for $1” or “Cereal for $0.50 with $25 purchase in store.”)
- Items with no actual price that require a purchase to get a free product (example: “Buy both oatmeal & cereal to get milk for free.”)
- Items that require a purchase to get a gift card (example: “Buy a 12 pack of paper towels to get a $5 gift card.”)
- Buy one get one free (BOGO) deals where no item price is listed (example: Peter Pan Peanut Butter, buy one, get one free. Save up to $2.50.”) are not included except as noted above.
- Going out of business or closeout prices.
- Percentage off (example: “All mascara, 40% off.)
- Items placed on layaway are not eligible for Savings Catcher.
- Deals that are listed as available with a clearly stated manufacturer’s coupon, “on pack coupon,” or “coupon commonly found in Sunday newspaper” are not eligible for Savings Catcher.
- Deals that require a competitor coupon that imposes a quantity limit (example: Pepsi 2 Liter $0.29 Limit 1 with competitor coupon)
- Deals that require a case purchase to receive a special price (example: Campbell’s soup for $0.50 each when you buy a case of 24 for $12.00)
- Deals that require an AARP, AAA or other discount cards not distributed by a retailer
Does Savings Catcher apply to my online purchases?
No. Savings Catcher applies to your in-store purchases only.
Do my savings accumulate?
That’s entirely up to you. You have the option to accumulate your Rewards Dollars and build your balance in Savings Catcher or redeem them onto a Walmart Rewards eGift Card or your Bluebird by American Express Card whenever and as often as you choose.
What happens if I use coupons?
No problem, you can still use Savings Catcher. If you use a coupon, Savings Catcher will compare the original Walmart price of the item, before the coupon was applied, to other stores’ advertised prices for the same item. For example: You bought cookies at Walmart. The shelf price was $3 and you used a coupon for $0.25, so you paid $2.75. If Savings Catcher finds that a competitor advertised those same cookies for $2.00, Savings Catcher will still credit you $1.00, even though you paid only $2.75 at Walmart.
Are receipts from Walmart stores in other countries included, such as Canada and Mexico?
Only receipts from Walmart stores in the United States, including Puerto Rico, are covered.
How do I submit my receipt?
There are two ways for you to submit your receipt:
- Enter the receipt number (the TC number) into Savings Catcher at savingscatcher.walmart.com. You’ll find this number located near the bottom of your printed Walmart store receipt.
- Or, scan the code at the bottom of the printed store receipt, using the scanner in the Savings Catcher section of the Walmart app.
Can I submit old receipts?
Your receipt needs to be 7 days old or less. For example, if you shopped on Tuesday, you have until the following Monday to submit your receipt.
What if I lost my receipt before I had the chance to submit it?
For Savings Catcher to work, we need to have the TC number and date from your receipt. We cannot process your receipt without it.
Why is my receipt invalid?
There are a few reasons why you might be receiving an “invalid” message when you try to enter your receipt:
- The TC number and purchase date may have been entered incorrectly. Check the numbers carefully and try again.
- Your receipt may be older than 7 days. For example, if you bought your items on Tuesday this week, you have until Monday of next week to enter it into Savings Catcher.
What happened to my invalid TC on my dashboard?
When your TC is marked as invalid, it will be removed from your dashboard after 14 days.
Does Savings Catcher compare all items on my receipt?
Savings Catcher applies to many items sold at Walmart stores. Savings Catcher compares identical items based on an item’s Universal Product Code (UPC). In addition, these items must be identical in size, weight, quantity, brand, flavor, color, etc. – even if they share the same UPC – in order to be compared.
Savings Catcher currently applies to:
- Groceries such as pantry staples including cereal, chips, rice, yogurt, milk, and frozen foods (must be identical and match UPC to UPC)
- Consumable items such as paper towels, bleach, and trash bags
- Health and beauty items such as shampoo and makeup
Savings Catcher currently does NOT
- Any food, consumables, or health & wellness items that do not meet the eligibility criteria above (See section “Does Savings Catcher compare all items on my receipt?”)
- Items purchased and paid for with WIC benefits
- Items sold in the Bakery department
- Fresh or variable weight meat
- Items sold in the Deli department
- General merchandise items including, but not limited to, outdoor living consumables (such as such as fertilizer and bug spray), office supplies, apparel, DVD’s, electronics, CD and gaming media, toys, housewares, small appliances, sporting goods, home décor, bedding, books and magazines, shoes, jewelry, furniture and seasonal products
- Non-branded items
- Tobacco, alcohol, firearms, gasoline, tires, prescription drugs, optical and photo products and services, or products that require a service agreement such as wireless, automotive or financial products
How do you find all the prices advertised by other stores?
We work with an independent third party to collect weekly print and online circulars from top competitive stores in your area. Savings Catcher compares this data to the prices of the items you bought at Walmart.
Which retailers’ advertised prices do you compare to Walmart’s prices?
We compare advertised prices from the top retailers located nearby the Walmart store where you shopped. When you submit your receipt using our website, you will see the list of retailers that we are comparing to. When you submit your receipt using our app, you will see the number of top competitors near the Walmart store where you shopped. The name of each competitor will then move across the screen.
Why are some items on my receipt not matched?
This is due to one or more of the following reasons:
- The items were not advertised by a competitor in your area at the time of your Walmart purchase
- The type of promotion in the competitor circular is not included in Savings Catcher.
- The items you purchased were not identical to the advertised items. (Size, quantity, brand, flavor, color, etc.)
If you have questions about your receipt, please contact us using the “Contact Us” button in the Savings Catcher section on our full site and the “Give Feedback” option in the main menu on our app.
When will I get my results back?
Savings Catcher will send you your results within 72 hours of receipt submission. As soon as your results are ready, we will let you know by email or through the Walmart app.
If for some reason your results are not ready within 72 hours, feel free to contact us using the “Contact Us” button in the Savings Catcher section on our full site and the “Give Feedback” option in the main menu on our app.
Why are my Savings Catcher results not instantaneous?
- After you scan your store receipt, it typically takes 2-3 days for Savings Catcher to notify you with your results. During that time, Savings Catcher works with a third party to find and review nearby top retailers' weekly ads, both the print and online versions. Savings Catcher then looks for ads that match the eligible items on your receipt and compares these advertised prices against the prices you paid at Walmart.
To be a match, the advertised items must be of identical size, quantity, brand, flavor, and color to your Walmart items, and the ads must be valid at the time you made your purchase. Gathering and reviewing this amount of data takes some time. We are working to speed up this process.
Why haven’t I received my results?
Results can take up to 72 hours to be ready. If your receipt has been processing for longer, there are a few reasons why it may not be working:
- The TC number and purchase date may have been entered incorrectly.
- Your receipt may be older than 7 days. For example, if you bought your items on Tuesday this week, you have until Monday of next week to submit your receipt to Savings Catcher.
- If you returned one of the items on your receipt, your receipt may take longer than normal to process.
We encourage you to try again.
What if I disagree with the results or wish to contact you?
We do our best to match items from other stores’ ads with accuracy. If you have any questions, or think we missed something, please let us know within 7 days of receiving your results email using the “Contact Us” button in the Savings Catcher section on our full site and the “Give Feedback” option in the main menu on our app. We always welcome your feedback. Please note that we cannot make any adjustments after the rewards have been redeemed to an eGift card or Bluebird by American Express Card.
What are Savings Catcher Reward Dollars?
Reward Dollars are the credits you receive any time the price advertised by a competitor in your area is lower than the price you paid for the same item at Walmart. Your Reward Dollars are equal to the difference between Walmart prices and the competitors’ advertised prices.
Where can I view my Savings Catcher Reward Dollars?
View your Reward Dollars on the full site in the Savings Catcher Savings Summary. If you’re using our app (and have already scanned at least one receipt), tap “Your Reward Dollars” from the home screen.
Is there a limit to the Reward Dollars that I can earn?
With Savings Catcher, you can earn a maximum of $599.99 Reward Dollars per calendar year. (This value represents your total earnings, irrespective of whether or not you have redeemed your Reward Dollars to an eGift Card or a Bluebird by American Express Card.) Once you reach the $599.99 limit, your receipts will no longer be matched for comparison, and you will not receive any additional Reward Dollars for the calendar year. While you can continue to submit receipts using the app, you will not be able to enter new receipts using the desktop or mobile website. Note that after reaching the limit, receipts entered via the app will appear as either “No Match” or “Not eligible.” Starting on January 1 of the following calendar year, you will then be able to submit new receipts to collect Reward Dollars again.
What happens to inactive accounts?
On January 31st of each year, all accounts will be reviewed for activity in the prior two calendar years (1/1 to 12/31). Activity is defined as submitting a new receipt or transferring Rewards Dollars to an eGift Card or Bluebird Card. Accounts with available Reward Dollars that have no activity in the prior two calendar years, will have their Reward Dollars automatically pushed to an eGift Card and emailed to them for their use in the future.
For example, if you earned Reward Dollars in 2014 but did not transfer them to an eGift Card or enter any new receipts in 2015 or 2016, your available Reward Dollars will automatically be pushed to an eGift Card soon after January 31st 2017 and emailed to the address you use to access Savings Catcher.
How do I redeem my Savings Catcher Reward Dollars?
There are two ways to redeem your Reward Dollars:
- You can choose to redeem your Savings Catcher Reward Dollars to a Walmart Rewards eGift Card that you can use at any Walmart store or on Walmart.com.
- If you are or become a Bluebird by American Express Card Member, you can choose to redeem your Savings Catcher Reward Dollars to your Bluebird Card in the form of Walmart Buck$, which are credits to your Bluebird Card that can be used to make purchases exclusively at Walmart stores or online at Walmart.com. To learn more about Bluebird and Walmart Buck$, click here.
How does a Walmart Rewards eGift Card work?
When you choose to redeem your available Savings Catcher balance, a Walmart Rewards eGift Card will be sent to the email address connected to your account. Please note that all new Savings Catcher Reward Dollars will be loaded onto the same Walmart Rewards eGift Card so you don’t need to keep track of multiple cards.
To use your Walmart Rewards eGift Card, simply print out the email with the barcode and hand it to the cashier at a Walmart store, or enter the Walmart Rewards eGift Card number and pin on Walmart.com. However, please remember to keep your eGift card information in a secure place as anyone could use your eGift card once he or she has the hard copy or eGift Card number and pin. For more information on Walmart Rewards eGift Cards, click here
What if I haven’t received my Walmart Rewards eGift Card?
- Check the junk or spam folder in your email.
- Ensure you have your account linked to the correct email address.
- Request an email with your eGift Card by selecting My Reward Card –> Resend my eGift Card from the menu.
Contact us through the "Contact Us" link on our full site and leave feedback so that we can investigate.
How can I see the balance on my eGift Card?
Your Savings Catcher Reward Dollars are always loaded to the same eGift Card so you don’t need to keep track of multiple cards. To easily access your eGift Card and view the balance, we encourage you to save your eGift Card to your Walmart.com account. Learn more.
To view your eGift Card, look for the email we sent you that includes a link to your Walmart eGift Card. To request a new email with a link to your eGift Card, select My Reward Card –> Resend my eGift Card from the menu.
Can I still double my Reward Dollars?
The promotional offer to double Savings Catcher Reward Dollars redeemed to a Bluebird Card expired on February 28, 2015. However, you can still choose to redeem your Savings Catcher Reward Dollars to your Bluebird Card in the form of Walmart Buck$, which are credits to your Bluebird Account that can be used to make purchases exclusively at Walmart stores or online at Walmart.com
What happens if I return an item after receiving Savings Catcher Reward Dollars for that item?
If you return an item after receiving Savings Catcher Reward Dollars for that item, your refund will be equal to the dollar amount you paid originally, minus the Savings Catcher Reward Dollars given for the item. Example: If you paid $10.00 for an item and then Savings Catcher gave you $1.00 back in Rewards Dollars, your item refund would be $9.00. This refund will be offered in the same tender type (cash, credit, etc.) that you used to pay for that item. Please note that returning items could increase the standard 72 hours that it takes Savings Catcher to process your receipt.
What happens if I submit my receipt to Savings Catcher after I’ve returned an item?
If you submit your receipt to Savings Catcher after returning an item, the returned item is not eligible for Savings Catcher Reward Dollars. Please note that returning items could increase the standard 72 hours that it takes Savings Catcher to process your receipt.
Where do I find my eReceipts within Savings Catcher?
Open the Walmart app on your mobile device and click on Savings Catcher. Then click on “Your eReceipts.” Select any of the receipts you wish to view by clicking on that receipt. You will then be taken to the eReceipt Details page. At the top right, click on the image that looks like a torn piece of paper with several lines on it. You will then see the electronic receipt (eReceipt) for that shopping trip. Note that the full eReceipt can only be accessed from the Walmart app.
How do I save or share my eReceipt?
After opening the Walmart app on your mobile device and selecting the receipt you wish to view by clicking on that receipt, you can then save or share your eReceipt depending on what phone you use.
For iPhone: At the top right, click on the image that looks like a box with an arrow pointing up. You will then be able to save the eReceipt image to your phone or share it through email or text message.
For Android: At the top right, click on the image that looks like a greater than sign or “<”. Select the method that you would like to use to save your eReceipt image to your phone. You can also click “See all” to share the eReceipt through email or text message.
Note that the full eReceipt can only be accessed from the Walmart app.
How do I get a Savings Catcher account?
You can access Savings Catcher using your Walmart.com account. If you don’t have a Walmart.com account, click here
to sign up. You can also sign up for Savings Catcher using our iPhone or Android app. Simply scan a receipt to get started.
Will the Ad Match Guarantee still be available in stores?
Ad match is available in most markets. Please ask a customer service representative in your local Walmart if it is available in your area.
What if I don’t have Internet access?
Sorry, but Savings Catcher is an online tool that requires Internet access. You can use Savings Catcher on a desktop, laptop, tablet, or smartphone. Don’t worry. if you do not have Internet access, you can still use traditional Ad Match in our stores.
How secure is your website?
Savings Catcher adheres to Walmart’s strict security and privacy standards. For more information, please view our Security and Privacy policies here
What is Bluebird® by American Express?
Bluebird is a financial account with flexible features and convenient management tools to help you get more from your money. Designed in partnership by American Express and Walmart, Bluebird gives you:
- The features you want such as Direct Deposit, Online & Mobile Bill Pay, Mobile Check Deposit and Family Accounts
- The value you expect including $0 Monthly Fees, $0 Overdraft Fees, $0 Fees to add cash at Walmart Registers, $0 Minimum Balance Required.
- The service you deserve with World-class American Express Customer Service and No Credit Reviews
How do I get a Bluebird® Account?
There are three ways to get a Bluebird® Account:
- Get a Bluebird Account Set Up Kit for $5 at a Walmart store near you except in Puerto Rico, start using your Temporary Card immediately, then register at Bluebird.com or
- Register directly online at www.bluebird.com/, or
- Download the Bluebird Mobile App from the App StoreSM or Google Play and register through the Bluebird® Mobile App (Data rates may apply.)
- For Puerto Rico, you can register directly online at www.bluebird.com/, or download the Bluebird Mobile App from the App StoreSM or Google Play and register through the Bluebird® Mobile App (Data rates may apply.)
Once you register online or via the Bluebird Mobile App a Permanent Bluebird Card will be mailed to the address you provided. Bluebird cannot send cards to P.O. Boxes, FPO, APO, Vermont residents, or outside the United States. You should receive your Permanent Bluebird Card 7-10 business days after you complete registration. You must activate it according to the instructions on the Card. If you have not received your Card(s) within 14 days, please call 1-877-486-5990. Note that you must verify your e-mail address before you can activate your Permanent Bluebird Card.
What are Walmart® Buck$?
Walmart® Buck$ are funds in your Bluebird Account that you’ve earned from Walmart and Bluebird which are separate from funds in your Bluebird Available Balance and your Bluebird SetAside Account. You can spend your Walmart® Buck$ only at participating Walmart® stores and Walmart.com.
How do I spend my Walmart® Buck$?
You can spend your Walmart® Buck$ by using your Bluebird Card at any participating Walmart® Store or Walmart.com. If you have funds in your Walmart® Buck$ balance, those funds will be automatically deducted to pay for your purchase. If the amount of your purchase exceeds the amount in your Walmart® Buck$ balance, any remaining amount owed on that purchase will be deducted from your Available Balance.
Where can I learn more about Bluebird® by American Express?
Last Updated: February 22, 2016